mardi 25 décembre 2012

Wonderful Christmas time

 
Merry Christmas from Finland! Wherever you are, I hope you're having a great time.

Here's a few things I can tell you about my Christmas:
1. I was so busy the last three weeks at Uni that I didn't really sleep and I felt like a zombie so I still can't quite understand that I'm on holidays, that I took a plane and that I'm in Finland, this all seems so unreal. But I'm slowly getting used to it and I've been sleeping a lot.
2. It feels so good to be here with my family and friends, I didn't realize how much I missed them. I'm super happy and spending Christmas at home with just my family is great.
3. I already miss everyone in Paris too...
4. Traditional Finnish Christmas food is actually quite tasty but looks interesting (see photos below).
5. Mixing a Finnish hot Christmas drink called "glögi" with champagne is a surprisingly good combination.
6. I thought I came to Helsinki not to the North Pole but I'm not sure (see photos below).
7. You can never eat too much chocolate, candy or gingerbread dough.
8. I started listening to Christmas carols in late October and I'll never get tired of it but I'm afraid my family members are soon going crazy.



Christmas lightings in the center of Helsinki. Same style as on the Champs Elysées.





Planning on going out, a smile on my face...




... actually being outside, trying to smile but this is unbearable. A short walk with my mum just to get some air and then back inside!




and this is the sea, right?


 
Baking gingerbread with my brother. :)





a bit burnt (mum's fault) but beautiful!





My dear friend T organized a get together at her new place and made these pastries called "joulutorttu".



 

Christmas decorations and a nice catch up with A and E.





our Christmas tree





I thought we agreed on not buying too many Christmas presents. So it must have been Santa who brought all this!





On Christmas morning we eat this sweet porridge called "riisipuuro", with sugar and cinnamon.





all is ready for the Christmas dinner





 This is called "kinkku"


 

and this is a "perunalaatikko", a sweet potato casserole, my mum's favorite.


And of course I have to share with you my this year's (or every year's) favorite Christmas songs (check from youtube if you want to listen, you should be able to find the Finnish one's too. I promise you'll get into the right Christmas mood if you're not there yet). :)

Emi's Christmas playlist:

Amy Grant: I Need A Silent Night
Dido: Christmas Day
Christina Perri: Merry Christmas Darling
Jars Of Clay: It Came Upon The Midnight Clear
Lea Michele: O Holy Night
Sarah Mc Lachan: Wintersong
Silver Bells
The Christmas Song
Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas

Arja Koriseva: Tule Joulu Kultainen
Katri Helena: Muistojen Kultaamat Joulut
Tomi Metsäketo: Orpojen Joulu
Vesa-Matti Loiri: Sydämeeni Joulun Teen
Tulkoon Joulu

+ me and my dad's favorite, always so funny:
Jope Ruonansuu: Pakollinen Joulu
Too bad you foreigners can't understand because I think this song describes so well the Finnish Christmas traditions. ;)


Enjoy your Christmas and holidays! Love you all,
xoxo: Emi

1 commentaire :

  1. haha i laughed out loud when i saw the pic of you in the snow
    paris misses you!!
    love big sis M
    xx

    RépondreSupprimer